The mission of the Arizona Board of Barbers is to preserve the public health and welfare through the development and enforcement of adequate sanitation procedures, rules, and laws governing barbers and barbering establishments.
What We Do
The Board licenses and renews licenses for barber shop, barber school and individual barbers; inspects barber shops for compliance with proper sanitation and other requirements; administers examinations for barbers; investigates consumer complaints and takes effective measures to resolve complaints including levying fines, and suspending and revoking licenses.
New Citizenship Requirements
A new law requires that all persons applying for a license or license renewal must demonstrate U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S. A US Citizenship Statement form with the documents identified in the Evidence of Citizenship attachment must now accompany all license applications and renewals.
In Fiscal Year 2015 – ending June 30, 2015, the Board:
- Completed 2,065 inspections
- Oversaw 417 written examinations and 447 practical examinations to 312 applicants
- Processed 339 new applications for barbers and instructors
- Processed 227 new applications for barber shops and barber schools
- Processed 3,061 licenses for barbers and instructors
- Processed 1,864 licenses for barber shops and barber schools
- Administered a total of 6,354 barber and instructor licenses
- Administered a total of 1,702 barber shop and barber school licenses