The purpose of the board of barbers is to ensure that the public health safety and welfare is protected from the incompetent practice of barbering. This purpose is achieved through the establishment of minimum qualifications for entry into the profession, through sanitation inspections and through swift and effective discipline for those barbers who violate barbering statutes and rules adopted pursuant to those statutes.
What We Do
The Board licenses and renews licenses for barber shop, barber school, barber instructors, and individual barbers; inspects barber shops for compliance with proper sanitation and other requirements; administers examinations for barbers; investigates consumer complaints and takes effective measures to resolve complaints including levying fines, and suspending and revoking licenses.
New Citizenship Requirements
A new law requires that all persons applying for a license or license renewal must demonstrate U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S. A US Citizenship Statement form with the documents identified in the Evidence of Citizenship attachment must now accompany all license applications and renewals.
In Fiscal Year 2017 – ending June 30, 2018, the Board:
- Completed 2,065 inspections
- Oversaw 417 written examinations and 447 practical examinations to 312 applicants
- Processed 339 new applications for barbers and instructors
- Processed 227 new applications for barber shops and barber schools
- Processed 6600 licenses for barbers and instructors
- Processed 1,864 licenses for barber shops and barber schools
- Administered a total of 6,654 barber and instructor licenses
- Administered a total of 1,800 barber shop and barber school licenses